Notre Dame, Indiana
— Census-designated place —
University of Notre Dame's center campus.
Country United States
County St. Joseph
• Total 1.274 sq mi (3.30 km2)
• Land 1.208 sq mi (3.13 km2)
• Water 0.066 sq mi (0.17 km2)
Elevation 735 ft (224 m)
• Total 5,973
• Density Bad rounding here4,700/sq mi (Bad rounding here1,800/km2)
Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
• Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4)
ZIP code 46556
Area code(s) 574
GNIS feature ID 2583462
Notre Dame is a census-designated place north of South Bend in St. Joseph County, Indiana, United States; it includes the campuses of three colleges: the University of Notre Dame, Saint Mary's College, and Holy Cross College. Notre Dame is split between Clay and Portage Townships. As of the 2010 census, its population was 5,973.
Holy Cross Religious Communities 
Holy Cross Village at Notre Dame is a retirement community offering continuing care in Notre Dame, Indiana. It is owned by the Brothers of Holy Cross and managed by the Franciscan Sisters of Chicago Service Corporation.
Notre Dame, Indiana is also the home of three major headquarters of Holy Cross religious communities. On the campus of Saint Mary's College the Sisters of the Holy Cross have their Congregational Administration. The Holy Cross College campus is the location of the Provincial Offices of two provinces of the Congregation of Holy Cross: the Midwest Province of Brothers and the Indiana Province of Priests and Brothers.
Government and infrastructure 
As unincorporated communities do not have a municipal government, Notre Dame, Indiana's government entities are the United States post office and the colleges' police forces. All colleges and universities in Indiana are entitled to an independent police force by law. The University of Notre Dame also has its own fire department and supplies its own water and power utilities, except University Village and Cripe Street Apartments, Notre Dame's family and married housing get their electricity from AEP. The ZIP code for Notre Dame, Indiana is 46556.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Notre Dame, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- "Indiana Code 21-17-5-2.1. State of Indiana. 2007. Retrieved on January 4,2011.
- "Post Office Location - NOTRE DAME." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- "Campus Map." University of Notre Dame. Retrieved on December 7, 2008.
- "Notre Dame Post Office." ''University of Notre Dame. Retrieved on December 7, 2008.